18 July 2008

ST Engineering Scholarship

I was delighted by the quite unexpected and wonderful news that RSIS has decided to award me the ST Engineering Scholarship to pursue my degree in International Relations. I had been hoping for a chance at the scholarship, but my lack of references (they didn't arrive from the UK in time and NTU does not have an online reference system) meant that I was initially not considered for it. So it came as quite a big surprise to hear that I had been given the Scholarship in the end.

The award of the Scholarship does ease my financial worries quite significantly as it means I will receive a stipend double the S$700 I would have received working as a part-time research assistant while congruently pursuing my studies. It also means I will have more time to devote to my degree, and other assorted interests, which is very welcome indeed given how tightly packed the one year degree course is as it stands.

A friend did comment, mildly tongue in cheek, that this marks the second time I have managed to 'con' someone into sponsoring my studies, after the Jardine Foundation awarded me a scholarship for my undergraduate degree at Oxford. When asked for the secret of my success, I have to put in down to a large part luck, and a large part just being completely myself - which I take to be outspoken, random and intellectually curious.

So I guess with any luck, and with a lot of hard work in my Master's, I might just be able to con yet someone else to sponsor me for a Phd, if that is the route I decide to pursue. 

1 comment:

The Wrong Box said...

Congratulations! :-)

Sadly, I've found that being outspoken and intellectually curious at some point turns into a liability in academia. It shouldn't work that way, but it does. :-) Still, I'm glad these admirable characteristics have worked out for you, and best of luck in the future!