12 June 2009

15 Books

I've succumbed to yet another Facebook meme that has gone rabid. This one can be basically called 15 Books. You are supposed to choose 15 books that you love, or that had a major influence on your life. It was a very difficult task for me, given how much I enjoy reading, but here is the list I've come up with:

  1. The Lord of the Rings | J.R.R Tolkien
  2. Dune | Frank Herbert
  3. The Sandman Graphic Novels | Neil Gaiman
  4. The Passion | Jeanette Winterson
  5. Housekeeping | Marilynne Robinson
  6. Atonement | Ian McEwan
  7. Disgrace | J.M Coetzee
  8. The Remains of the Day | Kazuo Ishiguro
  9. The Great Gatsby | F. Scott Fitzgerald
  10. The Things They Carried | Tim O'Brien
  11. In Cold Blood | Truman Capote
  12. King Lear | William Shakespeare
  13. Ex Libris | Anne Fadiman
  14. A Wrinkle in Time | Madeleine L'Engle
  15. True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle | Avi
Two books that probably influenced me greatly but which are too embarrassing to list: The Firm by John Grisham (it was the very first "adult" novel I ever read after I picked it up off my mother's shelf) and Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer (I read through the night trying to finish it, fell asleep, woke up around lunch and carried on where I had left off).

Near Misses: A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes, Practical Ethics by Peter Singer, Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George, Bartholomew and the 500 Hats by Dr Seuss, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisevitch by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

2 comments:

dee said...

Hmmm why "the passion" and not "written on the body"?

Caleb Liu said...

The Passion was the first ever Winterson I read. Why Written on the Body for you? Most people love Oranges. Michele's favourite Winterson is The Passion too.