21 May 2010

30 Things A Man Should Own Before 30

  1. A skin care regimen. C’mon guys, healthy complexions aren’t just for metrosexuals!: Not going to happen, and so far, not needed.
  2. A tasty signature dish he can whip up for a date: Cooking is useful but I'll learn it for myself. A signature dish would be cool.
  3. Respect for women as equals and not just as heads attached to boobs. Absolutely, as long as they don't behave like heads attached to boobs
  4. At least four good pairs of shoes: dressy, business casual, casual, exercise: There's a difference between exercise and casual? Just kidding. I'll have to work on this one comfortable shoes that fit me are tough.
  5. At least one friend who gives honest fashion advice I think I've found someone, but fashion advice is something you never get in too short a supply if you are me.
  6. A tailored suit Done. Just need more occasions to wear it! And with a bow tie too!
  7. A toolbox that includes: a hammer, screwdriver, wrench, nails, work gloves. I definitely need to improve on the handyman bit. No point having tools if you are clueless about how to use them. I CAN change a light bulb. I think.
  8. Enough clean underwear (no holes!) to get him through a week between laundry sessions. Yes, an absolute essential.
  9. Independence from his mama. Absolutely. Independence is good. From women. Period.
  10. The ability to ask for directions. You don't need to ask if you don't get lost!
  11. A great road map when there’s no one to ask. I don't drive, and you don't need road maps in Singapore. It's too small.
  12. A favorite cookbook. I'll have to work on understanding them first.
  13. A decent set of pots and pans. And knives. Never forget the knives.
  14. An emergency kit in the trunk of his car. Again, no car, so no worries.
  15. A hobby that does not include a television set or a 6-pack of beer. I will take this to be an active hobby that requires you to sweat. I'm thinking rock climbing.
  16. A trusted barber or hair stylist. This is a perennial problem. I need one that speaks in English, and will just give me a trendy easy maintain look that doesn't require me to put in much effort. Recommendations welcome.
  17. A pair of jeans that makes his butt look good. I think I do own a pair. Girls, feedback welcome on the latter bit.
  18. Jumper cables. Don't own a car, so not bothered.
  19. A driver’s license. I was close to getting one. Will go ahead and finish it.
  20. Always enough toilet paper. Obviously. Just don't expect me to put the toilet seat back up.... why can't you put it down if you need it?
  21. Sheets that don’t scratch.
  22. A nightstand that doesn’t say “Handle with care” on the side. Huh?
  23. A smile he uses generously. Use it too much and it loses its luster. I say reserve it for special occasions and special someones.
  24. At least one lamp that didn’t once belong in a dorm room.
  25. Enough confidence to approach someone he finds attractive. Always difficult, this.
  26. Enough sense not to use a cheesy pick-up line. (When in doubt, say “hello!”) I never do cheesy pick up lines. I only come up with sardonically witty retorts that nobody ever understands.
  27. A great razor. Being Chinese I have no regular need of one. That said, having tried to grow a mustache in my university days, I know how ridiculous I look with one.
  28. The beginning of a nest egg. Sigh. I wish.
  29. A place where everyone knows his name. I've got that. I am a firm believer in the local pub where everybody is friendly with everyone. That, and most of the second hand bookstores in Singapore.
  30. At least one sex move he’s received lots of positive feedback on. Errr, well. I couldn't possibly comment, could I?
This internet meme is courtesy of The Frisky.

No comments: