6 May 2007

Weekend Hibernation


I hardly emerged from my room this weekend. Like an animal which goes into hibernation over the winter months only to emerge with the spring thaw, I enter into the comforts of my room on a friday evening, only to emerge, rather disgruntled, for the resumption of work the following monday morning. Besides sleeping for long periods, I have even taken to having meals in my room, especially dinner on Sunday night.

The troubling thing is: this is not a recent phenomenon. Too many weekends have gone by with me seemingly in a state of stasis. So what exactly did happen this weekend? I did make a fair start at packing up my room, clearing most of the books off of the floor and making a stab at organizing things. I also managed to catch the Manchester derby match on Saturday night as well as the Arsenal vs Chelsea match the following day. But, in all fairness, I have to face the fact that nothing much was accomplished and a lot of time was wasted randomly surfing the net, and playing random computer games.

The fact is I am not a terribly energetic, go getting person by nature, which makes it all to easy to fall into a funk of laziness. I have to resolve to plan my weekends, and my time in general, more effectively. After all, there are so many things to do, so many books to read, so many people to keep in contact with. It would be a pity indeed to spend all this time hibernating in my room and not getting some of these things done. But then again, hibernating in itself serves a fundamental purpose - a tonic for the endless rush that constitutes everyday life.

No comments: