30 September 2008

A Walk in the Rain

I had decided to join my parents, and my uncle at Lunar since it was the eve of a public holiday. The usual suspects were there - Kent, girlfriend in tow and an assorted group of his friends who proceeded to more or less take over my Uncle's usual table; Edmund; and Yanni, a friend of Kent and his girlfriend. It was the birthday of Darren, one of the managers at the club, who has treated my uncle marvelously, and judging by the number of well-wishers he was well-liked indeed.

The real adventure began when we decided to leave for home at around 3.45 am. Clarke Quay is never the best of places to attempt to get a taxi on any occasion. On the eve of a public holiday it turns into a mess. To make matters worse, it was raining rather heavily, thus affecting the number of available cabs. The taxi queue was long, and it wasn't moving, the phone lines were jammed as everyone in the vicinity was attempting to call a cab, and in short the situation was quite hopeless.

I thus attempted to cross the road to flag a cab instead of waiting hopelessly in the queue. Despite waiting in the rain for the better part of a half hour, it proved a rather hopeless situation. There were scores of people lining the roadside, some walking a good 500m down the road in either direction. I later heard that my uncle had walked all the way to the City Hall area in order to get a taxi. I finally gave up, only to find on my return that my parents had disappeared from the queue and had somehow managed to get a cab.

Seeing that joining the queue (which had ballooned even further) was a hopeless scenario, and I didn't have a handphone with me to attempt to call a cab (which was probably hopeless too), I decided that I might as well go for a wander. All the better if I were to find a late night kopitiam for supper. So I started off in the rain, which didn't bother me one jot as I had already been pretty much soaked through. It was definitely interesting, and somewhat surreal wandering off aimlessly, in the pouring rain, with no particular direction in mind, in an area linking Clarke Quay and Chinatown that I had not seen much of previously.

In the end, sadly, I only passed one deserted coffee shop, before locating a 24-hour McDonalds which served breakfast. So it was a Big Breakfast for me at five something in an already bustling McDonalds. I then found myself just a few steps from Chinatown MRT station and I took the very first train of the morning home, finding myself with an interesting assortment of early birds - night workers returning home, some office workers getting an early start, teenagers (why are teenagers always out and about) headed somewhere, probably some of them having gone through a night of revelry. 

There was something perhaps oddly magical about it all, the warm fuzzy glow that comes about after imbibing a few whiskies, the almost familiar patter of rain, lessening in intensity but still falling, largely deserted streets haloed in street lamps, and the sense that at this moment, at least, you are free to glower, and to laugh at the world in turn, perhaps even simultaneously.

No comments: