18 June 2007

Pub Quiz

I have finally found a place that does pub quizzes in Singapore! While at Muddy Murphy's a couple of weeks ago, I spoke to the bar staff about whether they ran a regular pub quiz and even volunteered to run one myself. Apparently, they used to have a weekly quiz at the Penny Black, a second outlet at Boat Quay, but it fizzled out due to the lack of interest.

Thankfully, he recommended that I check out the Old Brown Shoe, a little British pub located on Bukit Timah Road, as they had a weekly pub quiz going every Wednesday. In fact, I recall seeing the Old Brown Shoe on a number of occasions whilst being driven down Bukit Timah Road, and commenting more than once that it looked like an interesting establishment that was worth checking out.

Anyhow, through a convoluted process of internet googleing, I managed to obtain the Old Brown Shoe's telephone number. I called the proprietor and was informed that they did have a pub quiz every Wednesday and that the place was "full to bursting" every week. She agreed to reserve me a spot at the bar next Wednesday so that I could take part in the quiz.

I'm definitely well pleased by this. I remember all those wonderful Tuesday evenings at the Turf Tavern in Oxford doing their pub quiz with great fondness. Yes, I'm obsessed. No, I don't need help. Quiz, beer, and a good English pub. Can't wait till Wednesday.

4 comments:

S7R4t4 said...

Quiz... alright...uh, have fun.
and win! definitely win!

five bucks says you found my blog from the link on grace's.

S7R4t4 said...

"Yes, I'm obessed."

After that Israel crack, I am happy to point out a spelling error in your post!

The awful thing is I didn't spot it myself... on a side note, Steffi is getting way too good at spotting spelling errors.

Caleb Liu said...

I might as well point out that I misspelled "obsessed" on the one occasion which points to carelessness, but you spelt Israel as "Isreal" throughout your entire essay which points to well, not knowing how to spell it!

It must be quite stressful keeping a blog if you happen to be an English/GP teacher. We should check DT's blog for the stray misspelt word or grammatical mistake.

Anonymous said...

I realize this is a years-old topic, but thanks to Google it's still relevant :)

Anyways, just a heads-up I'm going to be hosting a pub quiz for 10 weeks every Tuesday starting April 13th at 7:30PM at Harry's inside the lobby of Fusionopolis (in the West near Buona Vista MRT).

Format is: maximum 6 per team, no entry fees, broad general trivia, free welcome beer for all participants, and a bottle of wine to the winning team.

cheers,

-- Theo