26 January 2008

Goodbye Fletch and Liz

Today marked the farewell party of Fletch and Liz, two of the regulars at the Old Brown Shoe. And they were truly regulars. If you popped into the Shoe on almost any evening of the week you would find Fletch and Liz there, probably outside having a smoke, Liz drinking her rum and coke and Fletch his favourite Asahi.

In a random conversation one evening at the Shoe with a man from India who helped to run a Tiger wildlife refuge, Fletch mentioned that he loved Tigers and thought them to be the most amazing of creatures. I thus bought them a National Geographic documentary on Siberian Tigers. I hope they like it.

I got at the Shoe for the 'farewell do' a bit late, having had to settle some other stuff and the place was packed with people wanting to wish Fletch and Liz well. It made me realise how all the regulars there had coalesced into a community or sorts, sharing informal and happy moments. Just like a regular British pub. It also made me realise how much I love it.

On a more random note, I ended up watching some of the FA Cup football while at the pub, and amazingly, Liverpool twice went a goal down to part-time side Havant and Waterlooville [who play in Conference South]. A truly inspiring display by the non-league side who managed to go into half-time level before falling 5-2 at full time.

No comments: