9 January 2008

A Tremendous Threesome

It was just Dave Sowden, Marty and me for the pub quiz this week (my first of 2007). Keith Prince was called in for emergency quiz master duties so he couldn't be part of the team - not that it mattered in the long run! There was a bit of a debate as to whether to play our joker (earning us double our points in that particular round) on the round featuring questions on "Movie Title Actors" or "Writers, Composers and Artists". Marty insisted that the movie questions were usually piss easy. Arty fellow that I am, I fancied my chances on the latter one. In the end, my arguments won out.

We lead most of the way, and the pressure was definitely on me after we scored a perfect 10 out of 10 on movie title actors (without having played our joker of course). With a slender lead, a good score on our joker round was essential, particularly as if we buggered that one up, I would be severely dealt with by my two team mates. Lucky for me the questions were piss easy, including such classics as: "who wrote the novel Pride and Prejudice" and "who painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel". The only remotely tricky one was the last question: "who composed Appalachian Spring"*. I quickly slammed down the answer sheet the minute the questions had been asked - an easy twenty points.

Ultimately though you have to beat what is there and two other teams had also scored highly. We struggled slightly with a 7 in the final round including one of those annoying anagrams which refused to get solved. Thankfully, that was enough for a one point win which meant a bottle of wine and $60 each for Marty, Dave and me. Definitely, a enjoyable evening!


*Appalachian Spring
was composed by US composer Aaron Copland

No comments: