29 January 2008

Lunch with DT; Two Existential Questions

I met up with DT for lunch today. We had planned on heading to Holland V but a typically sudden Singapore downfall meant that we ended up going to Brewerkz. I remember having dinner with DT and Candida at Brewerkz shortly before I went on to join MFA. That seems a long time ago now.

The chief excuse for the lunch was as a form of repayment for DT earlier treating me (and Candida again) to lunch at the Tanglin Club. He had previously insisted that the Tanglin Club had the best steak and ribs in town and offered to bring me in to try it. For the record, it really was excellent. Lunch also afforded us a wonderful chance to chat and catch up. DT, to me is a kindered spirit in so far as being cynical about life (but not taking things too seriously) and in having a similarly warped sense of humour. It also was an opportunity for me to talk to him about Debs an me, as in his own words he is quite "protective of her".

Two interesting observations from the day. Firstly, the essential mystery that is ladies handbags. Candida had managed to cajole me into buying fifty dollars worth of ACJC fun-o-rama coupons. However since she was at a consultation, she told me to take the coupons out of her handbag and then leave the cash in her wallet. I went up to pass her the money in person, but I couldn't for the life of me find the coupons in her large brown handbag. Basically, I find come to realise that female handbags are incredibly complex mechanisms that no male of the species is able to fully comprehend, let alone find anything in. She later informed me the tickets were in a "side pocket, next too the tampons". Errr, right.

Secondly, I have yet to figure out how to effectively eat a Brewerkz chilli dog without one of two non really palatable options. Firstly, you can try to stuff it directly in your mouth, which causes an enormously huge mess. It is less messy in the case of the burger due to the fact that at least most of the stuff within it is enclosed. The chilli dog has beef chili treatening to spill over the sides at any instant and it usually does. The second option is to cut it up into bite size pieces and eat it that way. But seriously, cutting up a hot dog? That is just plain wrong. It is like, eating your peas in the UK by spearing them instead of scooping them oh so carefully on the underside of your fork (I still find that completely ridiculous).

If anybody has solutions to any of the two existential problems above, do let me know. I will be most grateful. I might even buy you a Brewerkz chilli dog so you can try it out for yourself.

No comments: