25 January 2008

Malicious Worm

My computer has been the unfortunate recipient of a worm that was sent via MSN Messenger (from my mother). It has meant that not only Messenger but Firefox and Explorer are no longer functional on my desktop. I have never truly realised my dependence on the internet till now and my annoyance is profound.

Part of the irritation stems from the fact that I really should have known better than to download the file and try to run the application. In my defence, I was multi-tasking at the time and I am inured to my mom sending me nonsense over Messenger. So perhaps the old joke and men and their inability to do more than one thing at one time is true.

How I am managing to write this post then? Well, given that only my desktop is affected I contrived to connect my laptop to my monitor and run the internet from there. My laptop is still functional except for the minor issue of the screen not working at all. I am running this jury-rigged system until I can figure out how to solve the worm issue on my desktop. Suggestions are welcome.

No comments: