10 January 2008

Just Like Old Times

I went over to Victor's place again on Thursday, just as I have been doing for the better part of a decade now. We were classmates in Secondary 2, 3 and 4 at ACS (Independent) and both went to ACJC (he to do triple science, me to do pure Arts). I used to go over to his house during the holidays to chill out, play badminton and changing generations of video game consoles. I remember watching the amazing 1999 Champions League final, when Man Utd defeated Bayern Munich with two last minute goals at his house (I missed seeing the winning goal live because I went to get a drink, thinking extra time inevitable).

Of course, we subsequently went our separate ways - to different units in the Army and then off to our respective Universities - Oxford in my case, Adelaide to do medicine in his, and differences in Hemispheres meant that our vacations hardly overlapped (I chose not to come back during my winter break, he was often just returning to Australia after his short winter break when I returned to Singapore in late July). We managed to catch up very occasionally, maybe once a year, but those visits to his place started to become a distant memory.

The opportunity to re-live the good old days came about because Victor is back on his summer break. I of course am currently out of a job, so I have time on my hands. It a scary thought that Victor's brother Nic, is now awaiting his 'A' level results. When I used to go over regularly, it was me and Victor that were doing our A levels and Nic had barely started secondary school. In one of those supremely random twists of fate, I ended up as Nic's GP teacher when I relief taught at ACJC from July to mid-October 2007.

So it was off to the old Siglap Community Centre and their old indoor badminton courts (bring your own net) for a round of doubles badminton. We were joined by one of Victor's friends from Adelaide, now working back in Malaysia and here in Singapore for a holiday. Vic proved once again that his height and long reach were a definite advantage while Nic showed an amazing ability to hit himself with his own racquet. It was definitely fun, and I really should make use of the new modern indoor courts at the Bishan sports center more often. It's a pity I don't really have anyone to play badminton with regularly.

Having seen some young boys playing football over at the futsol court nearby, I endeavoured to arrange an impromptu 4 a side futsol match. We began well at first, taking a 2-0 lead before letting in a soft goal. But as the game went on it became more an more obvious that we were tiring (I choose to take 2 hours of badminton as an excuse, but no doubt a general lack of physical exertion in recent times had something to do with it). We couldn't put the game away at 4-3 up and they eventually won 5-4. I wonder which was the greater humiliation - losing to a bunch of 10 year olds. Or wheezing from exhaustion by the end of the match.

Victor wanted to take his friend out for a nice dinner that night, so we ended up dining at La Fondue over at Dempsey Road, one of the new hot dining/chill out spots in Singapore, picking up his girlfriend Daphne along the way. We ended up ordering two Fondue set (for two) with an additional portion, which included a salad each, cheese fondue (with bread), an assortment of seafood and meats cooked over a hot plate and in olive oil respectively and finally desert in the form of fruits dipped in chocolate fondue. It was definitely a pretty fun experience, if rather expensive - the sets worked out at over $75 per head. Probably nice for a birthday or some other celebration. I probably wouldn't go again as I don't like fondue quite that much.

The evening entertainment turned out to be a full round of mahjong. I had decent luck this time, winning around 10 bucks (we only played 10 cents/20 cents) but given Nic's lack of finances, I naturally didn't collect. We were falling asleep by the end of it as the last round was only completed around 4am. Quite a day, just like it was in the good old days.

No comments: